Prayer- O Jesus, make me your faithful disciple.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus instructing his disciples.)
This gospel contains three separate sayings of Jesus concerning discipleship. First, a disciple should never give scandal. Second, a disciple should correct another and forgive him whenever he is sorry. Third, the disciple must pray in faith.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “It is inevitable that scandals will come but woe to those through whom they come. It would be better that he be thrown into the sea with a millstone around his neck than give scandal to one of these little ones.
Be on guard. If your brother sins against you, correct him and if he repents, then forgive him. If he sins against you seven times in one day and seven times he is sorry, forgive him.
The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.” The Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, “Be uprooted and transplanted into the sea” and it would obey”.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- In the gospels, Jesus takes time to form his disciples. They are very important to him.
- A “little one” is a beginner in the faith. A disciple’s laxity will harm that new faith.
- The disciple must never give scandal, even allowing himself to be cast into the sea.
- Charity will correct another’s faults in the community.
- After repentance for wrongdoing, forgiveness must flow abundantly.
- What a perfect request! Lord, increase our faith.
- Faith is a tiny power which is released by even the smallest prayer.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how much time you spend forming me into your disciple.
- Let me die rather than lead others astray into sin.
- Jesus, give me a spirit of forgiveness which sets aside all my grievances.
- Increase my faith, Jesus. Then I will be your disciple.
- What power you give me! My prayer can remove every obstacle.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will be careful of my words and actions, not wanting to lead anyone into sin.
- I will begin right now to pray with faith, asking for all I need to be Jesus’ disciple.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
If you had faith like a mustard seed, the mulberry tree would obey you.