Prayer: – O Jesus, let me watch and be ready for your coming.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples about his Second Coming.)
Jesus gives two separate images, the biblical stories of Noah and Lot and the difficult decisions necessary in an emergency. In Palestine, the roofs were flat and people worked there. Every house had outside stairs directly to the street. A person going inside to save his possessions would be foolish. Both images stress the unknown aspects of Jesus’ coming.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
As it was in the days of Noah, so it shall be in the days of the Son of Man. They ate and drank, married and gave in marriage until the day Noah entered into the Ark. The flood came and destroyed them all.
Likewise, in the days of Lot. They ate and drank, bought and sold, planted and built. When Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and brimstones and destroyed them all. So it will be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.
In that hour, if a person is on the roof and his goods are in the house, let him not go in to get them. If someone is in the field, let him not return to the house. Remember Lot’s wife.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Jesus uses Noah as an example. People were so busy with their lives, that they did not see the flood coming.
2. Similarly, Sodom was threatened but only Lot and his family knew to escape.
3. God saved both Noah and Lot by revealing the disaster to them.
4. They heard God’s word and took appropriate steps. However, Lot’s wife disobeyed.
5. These stories carry the same teaching. God will warn us and save us. We must listen and act.
6. A person on the roof and a man in the field should just flee and not worry about their possessions.
7. If they cling to material possessions, they will make the wrong decision.
8. Whoever is alert to the Kingdom (like Noah and Lot) will be saved.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Speak, Lord. Guide me. Show me the way.
2. Save me from foolish decisions.
3. I will not be caught up in buying or selling. Instead, I will await your coming.
4. When I see you on the horizon, I will run to you.
5. Awaken me. Alert me. Give me ears attentive to your voice within.
6. O Jesus, all is urgent. Set my soul on your path.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
1. I will not allow earthly things to capture my attention.
2. When I see God’s will today, I will act immediately.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
As it was in the days of Noah, so it shall be in the days of the Son of Man.