Prayer– O Jesus, call me to a special goodness and help me to be a faithful disciple.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus preaching to the disciples).
Matthew’s teachings are broken into five sections, (like the five books of Moses). The beatitudes are Jesus’ first major teaching. Matthew, seeing a decline in fervor in his church, sets a high level of morality. He calls this “the greater righteousness”. We will pray these beatitudes in 2 parts.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
- Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the mountain. After he sat down, his disciples gathered and he began to teach them.
Blessed are the poor in spirit; the Kingdom of heaven is theirs.
Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the land.
Blessed are those who mourn; for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for holiness; they shall have their fill.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
- Climbing the mountain and sitting down show the authority of Jesus in these teachings.
- He teaches his disciples. They must know what is required of those seeking the Kingdom.
- To be rich in the Kingdom, the disciples must be poor in their own spirit.
- To gain everything, the disciples must not claim anything as their own.
- To be comforted in a surprising way, they must be sorrowful when people do not accept the Kingdom.
- To be made holy, they must hunger and thirst for Jesus’ new righteousness.
Affections:(When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, use your authority. Establish your Kingdom in my heart.
- Teach me, Jesus. I will listen attentively. I want to be your disciple.
- To gain your Kingdom, I will leave everything behind.
- If I claim nothing. You will give me every treasure of the Kingdom.
- O Jesus, so many people reject you. What can I do to extend your Kingdom?
- I want only to be close to you. What else should I seek? You are Jesus of Nazareth.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will say often, “Your Kingdom come.”
- I will have only Jesus as my teacher.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The disciples gathered around Jesus and he began to teach them.