Prayer – O Jesus, call me to a special goodness and help me to be a faithful disciple.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus preaching to the disciples).
Matthew’s teachings are broken into five sections, (like the five books of Moses). The beatitudes are Jesus’ first major teaching. Matthew, seeing a decline in fervor in his church, sets a high level of morality. He calls this “the greater righteousness”. We will pray these beatitudes in 2 parts.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the mountain. After he sat down, his disciples gathered and he began to teach them.
Blessed are the poor in spirit; the Kingdom of heaven is theirs.
Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the land.
Blessed are those who mourn; for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for holiness; they shall have their fill.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
1. Climbing the mountain and sitting down show the authority of Jesus in these teachings.
2. He teaches his disciples. They must know what is required of those seeking the Kingdom.
3. To be rich in the Kingdom, the disciples must be poor in their own spirit.
4. To gain everything, the disciples must not claim anything as their own.
5. To be comforted in a surprising way, they must be sorrowful when people do not accept the Kingdom.
6. To be made holy, they must hunger and thirst for Jesus’ new righteousness.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, use your authority. Establish your Kingdom in my heart.
2. Teach me, Jesus. I will listen attentively. I want to be your disciple.
3. To gain your Kingdom, I will leave everything behind.
4. If I claim nothing. You will give me every treasure of the Kingdom.
5. O Jesus, so many people reject you. What can I do to extend your Kingdom?
6. I want only to be close to you. What else should I seek? You are Jesus of Nazareth.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
1. I will say often, “Your Kingdom come.”
2. I will have only Jesus as my teacher.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The disciples gathered around Jesus and he began to teach them.