Prayer: O Jesus, let my heart be totally set upon you.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus instructing his disciples.)
Jesus has just told the parable of the dishonest steward. Now, he speaks of how a believer should use his money to gain God’s blessings. The second part contains a serious warning. No one can serve God and money.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
I say to you, “Make friends for yourselves through your use of this world’s goods, so that when they fail you, a lasting reception will be yours. If you can trust a man in little things, you can also trust him in greater. Anyone who is unjust in little things is also unjust in greater. If you have not been faithful with unjust wealth, who will trust you with what is true? If you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s money, who will give you your own?
No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be attentive to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. The Pharisees, who were avaricious, heard this and derided him. Jesus said, “You justify yourselves in the eyes of men but God reads your hearts. What man sees as important, God holds in contempt.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Money always fails to secure true life. Disciples must use their money to gain eternal life.
- Jesus compares earthly money (little things) to heavenly riches (greater things). A person trustworthy with earthly money can be trusted with heavenly powers.
- This leads up to the great teaching “No man can serve two masters.”
- The human heart cannot go in two directions. To love money is to turn away from God.
- These words cut the hearts of the Pharisees. They pretend to serve God but they really serve money.
- Jesus declares that God sees where their hearts are.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, all my money belongs to you. I will use it to gain everlasting life.
- Make me faithful in the little things of earthly life.
- Trust me, Jesus, with heavenly powers and I will bring others to your Kingdom.
- Jesus, I renounce a divided heart that seeks anything else but you.
- Free me of greed, O Lord. Bestow upon me a generous spirit which blesses others.
- Search my heart, O God. Cleanse whatever must be purified.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will always use ten percent of my income for God.
- I will be consistently generous.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation).
You cannot serve two masters.