Prayer, Selection and Healing (Lk 6:12-19)
Lord Jesus, if you choose me, I will serve you with all my heart.
Picture Jesus with his disciples and the crowds.
This text has 3 different scenes. First, Jesus is alone in prayer. Second, he is with his disciples. Third, he comes down the mountain and the crowds join him. Each scene has an important teaching.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus went up the mountain to pray, spending the night in communion with God. At daybreak, he called his disciples and selected twelve of them to be his apostles. Simon, whom he called Peter, and his brother, Andrew, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew, Matthew and Thomas, James, the son of Alpheus, and Simon the Zealot, Jude, the brother of James and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
He came down to a level place where there were many disciples. A large crowd of people came to hear him and he healed them of their diseases. Also, those who were troubled by unclean spirits were cured. The whole crowd tried to touch him because power went out from him which cured all.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus was always in communion with his Father, but he climbed the mountain to spend hours in prayer.
- His prayer helps him to make a vital decision, choosing twelve disciples to be his inner circle of apostles.
- At the lower level are more disciples and the crowds. These, too, will be blessed according to their capacity.
- The crowds have heard the stories. Filled with enthusiasm, they bring their sick.
- God’s power goes forth from Jesus’ humanity. Just touching him caused great healings.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, teach me to pray. Give me the gift of communing with the Father.
- Let all my decisions come from prayer.
- Lord, call me to your side. Make me your special friend.
- Jesus, speak to my heart. Make me attentive. I want to hear you.
- I know all your healing stories, Jesus. I come to you in faith.
- Let me touch you. That is enough. Power will go forth and I will be made new.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will make time for prayer today.
+ I will ask Jesus to give me tasks for his glory.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Power went out from him which healed all.