Prayer: O Jesus, help me in the moments of my trials.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus explaining to the disciples their future difficulties)
After discussing all the wars and famines and earthquakes that will occur, Jesus turns to two other difficulties. The disciples will find themselves hauled into court. Also, their family and friends will turn on them. Only patient endurance will win the victory.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “Before all these things happen, they will lay hands on you. They will persecute you, bringing you to synagogues and prisons, dragging you before kings and governors for my name’s sake. You will be brought there so you can give witness.
Do not think ahead of time what you are to say for I will give you words and a wisdom which your adversaries cannot resist or refute.
You will be betrayed by your parents and your brothers, relatives and friends. Some of you will be put to death and you shall be hated by all for my name’s sake. By patient endurance you shall save your lives.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The problems will begin when the disciples witness to Jesus.
- The synagogue will reject them and this will lead to prison.
- They will be brought before the highest authorities – governors and kings.
- These arrests serve God’s purpose. The disciples will speak of Jesus to all who attend their trial.
- Jesus, himself, promises to be there, prompting them what to say.
- Even family members will not want the disciple to join this new Jesus Movement.
- The consequence will be dire. Some will die. Jesus will not miraculously save them.
- By dying, they will “save their life”, their eternal life that really matters.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, to be persecuted for you is my greatest privilege.
- I will not be silent. I will speak about your name.
- Many need to hear the gospel. At least, some will listen.
- Kings and governors have limited power. You, Jesus, and your disciples hold all authority.
- You will be there. You will give me the words. You will be my lawyer.
- No one will intimidate me or change my decision. You are my king and my governor.
- Jesus, give me patient endurance.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ask for the gift of Fortitude.
- I will not let hatred and anger of others to silence me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
By patient endurance, you will save your lives.