Prayer: O Jesus, let me persevere until the end.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples).
In teaching about his Second Coming, Jesus keeps putting it off, always speaking of events that must happen first. The “coming” is always “later”. He stresses perseverance so the disciple does not think that the road is short.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Some were speaking about the temple, which was adorned with precious stones and offerings. Jesus said, “These things which you see. The days will come when one stone will not be left upon another. All will be torn down. They asked him, “Master, when will this be?” and “What shall be the sign that it is going to happen?”
He said, “Be careful not to be led astray. Many will come in my name, saying, “I am he” and “the time is at hand” but do not follow them. When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be disturbed. These things must first happen but the end is not yet. Nations shall rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom. There shall be earthquakes, plagues and famines in various places. Even in the sky, there will be portents and signs.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Nothing seemed more lasting than the newly built temple.
- Forth years after Jesus died, the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the temple (just as Jesus predicted).
- In asking for a sign, the disciples are misguided. Jesus’ word is the daily guide.
- Jesus lists so many happenings (wars, earthquakes, plagues and famines). Yet, none is a sign.
- Jesus wants the disciples to stay on his path (even if there are cosmic events).
- They have his true teaching. They must just be good disciples.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, nothing remains. Only you are eternal.
- I need no sign, only your presence guiding me.
- Your teaching is in my heart. I will cling to that.
- I know you will come for me. I await you in faith.
- O Jesus, what a world! We live with wars and famines and earthquakes! Stay with me!
- Help me to stay on your path, Jesus. The end is not near. I have many miles to go.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will use Jesus’ words to guide my day.
- I will detach myself from material possessions by little sacrifices.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
These things will happen but the end will not follow immediately.