Prayer – Call me, Jesus, into your Kingdom. Help me to follow you, and leave everything behind.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus inviting the fishermen, Peter, Andrew, James and John to follow him).
Mark’s gospel moves very quickly. In this first chapter, Jesus has been baptized and led by the Spirit into the desert for 40 days. Suddenly, the Baptist is arrested and can no longer preach. Jesus assumes the task of preaching and gathers his first disciples.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God, saying, “This is the time of fulfillment. The reign of God is at hand. Reform your lives and believe in the good news.”
Going by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother, Andrew, casting their nets into the sea, for they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately, they left their nets and followed him.
Going a little farther, he saw James, the son of Zebedee, and John, his brother. They were mending their nets in the boat. He also called them. They left their father, Zebedee, and the hired hands, and followed him.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
1. God’s Kingdom has its timetable. After John prepares the way, Jesus takes up the message.
2. This is a special time with great urgency. God will bring about the Kingdom.
3. Jesus commands two actions. We must reform our lives and believe in the gospel.
4. These four fishermen comply with those demands. They leave their possessions and their family members.
5. They are employed in God’s Kingdom. They will fish for people, taking lost souls out of the sea of sin and placing them in Jesus’ boat.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Today, you call me into your Kingdom. O Jesus, I will not delay.
2. You fulfill the prophesies and you fill my heart.
3. Let me believe this good news. It will save my life and save my soul.
4. Whatever you ask, I will do. Wherever you go, I will follow.
5. I will leave everything to be with you.
6. Gather me, Jesus and I will gather others.
7. I will say to the whole world, “Come, let us follow Jesus.”
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will believe that this day is quite special.
2. I will not hesitate to respond to God’s voice.
3. I will learn how to bring others to Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
This is the time of fulfillment. The reign of God is at hand.