Prayer: O Jesus, help me to act now. So much is about to happen.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.)
Jesus has just predicted the fall of Jerusalem and declared that, at a given moment, he will come on clouds of glory. Because people think that this cosmic event is far off, they push the warning aside. So, Jesus must add this image of the fig tree which says that summer is near.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus told his disciples a parable, “Look at the fig tree and all the other trees. When you see them sending forth their shoots, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see these things happen, know that the Kingdom of God is at hand. Amen I say to you, the present generation will not pass away until all these things take place. The heavens and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Jesus knows that delay wears down his disciples. His words lose their effectiveness.
2. The fig tree is a perfect example. In winter, no tree looks more dead. Yet, so quickly, it comes alive, surprising everyone.
3. No one needs special knowledge. When trees blossom, everyone knows that summer is close.
4. Jesus has an important conclusion. When persecution comes and when the Kingdom seems to have lost its power, that is the moment of closeness.
5. The Kingdom is always near. God’s reign is always at hand. Suddenly and surprisingly, the moment of Jesus’ presence comes upon those gathered in faith.
6. Someday the whole world will disappear but Jesus’ words will never lose their power.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, when I grow tired, weary and discouraged, give me new life.
2. Let your Spirit breathe upon me and his fire leap up.
3. You are always coming to me. Your Kingdom is always at hand.
4. Just when I am losing life, you surprise me. Your Spirit suddenly stirs within.
5. You whisper to me, “I am never far away. I am always near”.
6. You are my hope. You will never pass away. Never fail me. Never abandon me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will live in great hope today that the Kingdom is at hand.
2. I will recall my favorite words of Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Know that the Kingdom of God is at hand.