Come, Holy Spirit. Give me friends with great faith.
Picture Jesus healing the paralyzed man.
The stories in this section are controversy stories, which allow Jesus to make some pronouncement. The pronouncement in this story is that Jesus is the Son of Man with divine authority.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The people love the paralyzed man. They, also, have faith in Jesus.
- Their first thought is to place him at Jesus’ feet.
- Because of their faith, Jesus forgives the man’s sins.
- Jesus then heals the paralyzed man to prove that he could forgive sins.
- The paralyzed man keeps receiving all these favors.
- When Jesus tells him to get up, he shows great faith. He arises and picks up his mat.
- The event confounds the learned critics and delights the simple believers. They believe even more in Jesus’ powers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Lord, send me friends who believe in you.
- Teach me to accept the advice of others.
- O Jesus, I want my sins to be forgiven. This is your greatest gift (which I often do not seek).
- Jesus, you have all power and authority in heaven and on earth.
- You heal everything – soul, mind, feelings, senses, intellect and will.
- Speak to me Jesus. Tell me to rise from my sins.
- Lord, make me a new creation. I will be a sign to others.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will look for friends who believe in Jesus.
+ I will let their faith bless me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The people brought him to Jesus.