Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Give me friends with great faith.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus healing the paralyzed man.)
The stories in this section are controversy stories, which allow Jesus to make some pronouncement. The pronouncement in this story is that Jesus is the Son of Man with divine authority.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
People brought to him a paralyzed man lying on a stretcher. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Courage, your sins are forgiven.” At that, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming. Jesus knew what they were thinking and said, “Why do you harbor such thoughts. Which is easier to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven’ or ‘Rise and walk?’
But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins- he then said to the paralyzed man, “Stand up. Roll up your mat and go home.”
The man stood up and went home. At the sight, a feeling of awe came over the crowd and they praised God for giving such authority to man.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The people love the paralyzed man. They, also, have faith in Jesus.
- Their first thought is to place him at Jesus’ feet.
- Because of their faith, Jesus forgives the man’s sins.
- Jesus then heals the paralyzed man to prove that he could forgive sins.
- The paralyzed man keeps receiving all these favors.
- When Jesus tells him to get up, he shows great faith. He arises and picks up his mat.
- The event confounds the learned critics and delights the simple believers. They believe even more in Jesus’ powers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Lord, send me friends who believe in you.
- Teach me to accept the advice of others.
- O Jesus, I want my sins to be forgiven. This is your greatest gift (which I often do not seek).
- Jesus, you have all power and authority in heaven and on earth.
- You heal everything – soul, mind, feelings, senses, intellect and will.
- Speak to me Jesus. Tell me to rise from my sins.
- Lord, make me a new creation. I will be a sign to others.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will look for friends who believe in Jesus.
- I will let their faith bless me.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
The people brought him to Jesus.