O Jesus, raise me to new life in your Holy Spirit.
Picture Jesus raising the girl to life.
Mark carefully notes that Jesus returns to Jewish territory and the atmosphere is filled with faith. At Jairus’ home, however, people have little faith. So Jesus casts them out. Only those with faith are present. (Because Mark knows Jairus’ name, he probably was a member of Mark’s Church.)
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jairus is filled with faith. He knows Jesus can heal his daughter. Since we know his name he must have remained a faithful disciple.
- However, Jairus’ friends who lack his faith and discourage his mission.
- Jesus sets aside their advice. Fear is useless. Trust is needed.
- Jesus encounters others with no faith at all. They ridicule the whole mission
- Jesus excludes them all. He takes only those who believe and will not interfere with God’s powers.
- He orders the girl to get up from the dead, a preview of his own resurrection.
- She is twelve, the needed age to be a qualified witness. By eating, she proves that Jesus has given life to her body.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let this gospel story fill me with faith.
- Come to my house. Lay your healing hands upon me.
- Cast out my doubts. Remove my fears. Your powers have no bounds.
- Take my hand. Raise me up. Give me new life. Take away the death of my sins.
- I will tell others. I will be your witness, a sign to others of your goodness to mankind.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will go to Jesus in full trust that he will help me with every problem.
+ I will not allow discouraging words to steal my faith.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
“Little girl, get up.” Immediately, she got up and walked.