Prayer: O Jesus, let me press close to you and be healed.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus, surrounded by crowds and the woman secretly touching His garment.)
The story contains excellent teachings about healing. Many people touch Jesus (as the disciples make clear) but only the woman touches him with faith. Since we have the story with many details, she must have been a member of Mark’s community.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
A great crowd followed Jesus, pressing around him. There was a woman with a flow of blood who had suffered for twelve years from doctors and had spent all her money. Yet she had gotten worse. Hearing about Jesus, she joined the crowd and touched his garment, saying to herself, “If I just touch his garment, I shall be healed.” Immediately, the flow of blood was dried up. She felt in her body that she was healed of the evil.
Jesus knew immediately that power had gone out from him. Looking at the crowd, he asked, “Who touched my garment?” His disciples said, “The whole crowd is pressing in on you and you ask who touched you”. But Jesus looked to see the woman who did this. Filled with fear and trembling, she fell down before Jesus and told him the whole story.
Jesus said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you whole. Go in peace and be free of this disease.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- This woman’s world was spiraling downward. Twelve years of hopelessness.
- She finds new hope in Jesus. “If I just touch his garments, I will be healed.”
- Jesus knows that God’s power has gone out. The disciples, as often, see nothing.
- The woman has her healing, but she still has her fears.
- Jesus completes the gift. He praises her actions and guarantees that her healing is for life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, my life spirals downward. I will turn to you.
- You give me new hope, even after years of discouragement.
- You fill me with faith, and I draw close to you.
- Your power goes out to me. I will never be the same.
- Jesus, you calm my fears. Your power is lasting.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will allow God to remove my discouragement.
- I will call on Jesus and draw close to him.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
If I just touch his garment, I will be healed.