Prayer: Come, Holy Ghost. Help me to seek first the Kingdom of heaven.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching His disciples about the Father’s care for them.)
In this gospel, Jesus speaks only to his disciples. Since they have given themselves to the Kingdom, Jesus promises that the Father will provide. Since the Father provides for disciples, they must not grow anxious.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
“Oh, you of little faith. Do not worry and say “What are we to eat?” or “What are we to drink?” or “What are we to wear?” All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for each day is the evil thereof.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- To worry about food, drink and clothing is quite normal. Everyone does this, even pagans who have no faith.
- Jesus explains that the heavenly Father knows and cares for those who are disciples.
- Then, he demands that disciples have a total faith in God’s Providence.
- The disciple must do one thing, they must seek first the Kingdom. Then, they will have all the food, drink and clothing that you need.
- The disciple must avoid one thing, worry about a tomorrow (which never comes). The Father provides for each day’s challenges.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, when I have little faith, I am anxious. When I have great faith, I am at peace.
- Lord, calm my inner questions.
- Father, why do I not trust you? Did you not create me? Did you not make me a disciple?
- Jesus, I have one task. I must seek first your Kingdom.
- Jesus, make me a child. To trust. To live one day at a time. To believe that God will give me my daily bread.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will examine my anxieties and why I grow fearful.
- I will place greater trust in my heavenly Father.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Your heavenly Father knows that you need all of these.