Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Set me as a light on the lampstand.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus instructing his disciples.)
A disciple is someone who has made a decision to live totally for the Kingdom. In the gospels, Jesus explains what he expects of his disciples. The disciple must be salt, a power against food corrupting. He must also be a light, so men can see God’s goodness reflected in the disciple’s life.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus continued to teach his disciples on the mountain.
“You are the salt of the earth. If the salt loses its flavor, how will it be salted?
It is good for nothing except
to be cast out and trodden under foot.
You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountaintop cannot be hidden. Men do not light a candle and put it under a bushel basket, but upon the lampstand,
so it can give light to all in the house. Let your light shine before men so that they can see your good works and glorify
your heavenly Father.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus does not exaggerate the truth. His disciples will bless the whole world.
- Jesus warns his disciples. The salt can lose its flavor. The light can be kept hidden.
- When disciples cease to be disciples, the world trods them under foot. They are useless.
- By allowing God to change their hearts, the disciple can show the world what God’s power can do.
- All will glorify the heavenly Father for what he has accomplished in the disciple.
- Jesus’ plan is very successful. We should follow it more often.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you call me to greatness in your Kingdom.
- Give me your salt – a taste for devotion, and a desire for the Kingdom.
- Let me be your candle, burning brightly and set on the highest place.
- Jesus, change my life. Then, I will have good works that shine out to others.
- O Father, all is for your glory!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- What must I do to foster personal devotion? What time should I find for prayer and spiritual reading?
- I will try to bless others by my good works.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
You are the salt of the earth. You are the light of the world set upon a lampstand.