Prayer: O Jesus, set me free from Satan’s control.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching the disciples).
This is an early story of Jerusalem leaders trying to discredit Jesus. Unable to deny that Jesus expels demons, they claim that he uses demonic power. Jesus destroys their claim by showing the contradiction. In the final paragraph, Jesus describes himself as one who “plunders Satan’s possessions and sets us free.”
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When the scribes came from Jerusalem, they said, “It is by Beelzebub, the prince of devils, that he casts out devils.” Summoning the crowds, Jesus said in a parable, “How can Satan cast out Satan? If a Kingdom is divided against itself, that Kingdom cannot stand.
If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. If Satan rises up against himself, he is divided and cannot stand. He will not survive.
No man can enter the house of a strong man and rob him of his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Only then can he plunder his house.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The scribes, unwilling to accept Jesus’ divine power, put forward the ridiculous notion that he is using satanic power.
- They have come from Jerusalem. Their hearts are twisted and they fail to see Jesus as sent by God.
- Jesus asks the obvious question. How can Satan expel himself? Why would he want to even do that?
- If Satan has a divided Kingdom, he and will not last long. He is finished.
- Jesus correctly describes Satan. He is a strong man who has the whole world in bondage.
- However, Jesus is stronger. He will tie up Satan and set us free. Jesus accomplishes this in all the gospel stories.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you bring God’s power into my life.
- O Jesus, you know that I am weak and Satan is powerful.
- You are the Stronger One, and you are my Friend.
- You war with Satan and you always cast him out.
- Rescue me, Jesus. Come and set me free.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will believe totally in Jesus’ power to free me.
- I will avoid all occult practices because they will lead me into bondage.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
He binds up the strong man and plunders his house.