Prayer: – Jesus, plant the powerful seed of your Kingdom in my heart.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus preaching to the crowds).
This parable contrasts the difficult beginning of the seeds and the glorious fulfillment of the harvest. The beginning has multiple frustrations. The end has gigantic results.
Jesus’ ministry is experiencing many obstacles. The disciples see failures, desertions and hostility. Jesus sees that God’s work is doing quite well.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
“A farmer went out to plant seeds. Some seed fell by the wayside and the birds of the air ate it.
Some seed fell on rocky ground and grew quickly because the soil was not deep. When the sun rose, it was scorched for lack of roots.
Some fell among thorns. The thorns grew and choked it and it did not yield grain.
Some fell upon good ground and brought forth abundant fruit that yielded thirty, sixty or a hundred fold. He who has ears, let him hear.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. The seeds represent the power of God’s Kingdom.
2. God scatters these seeds abundantly in your heart.
3. You do not accept some seeds. These invitations fall “by the wayside.”
4. By the hardness of your heart, you resist other seeds. They do not take root.
5. You mix some seeds with your worldly preoccupations. These never produce any worthwhile fruit.
6. You receive some seeds without compromise and give them your heart.
7. These produce abundant fruit and you rejoice.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Lord, sow your seeds abundantly in my heart.
2. I will cherish these seeds of the kingdom and of eternal life.
3. O God, at times you placed seeds in me, but I was not receptive.
4. Jesus, why do I resist your kingdom? Why is my heart like rocky ground?
5. O Lord, how often I make your seeds share my heart with other desires. This is not what you want.
6. Even though I have wasted everything, Your seeds can still bring an abundant harvest. Jesus, my life can still be glorious.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will believe that the seeds of God’s Kingdom are abundant and powerful within me.
2. I will purify the soil, so the seeds can grow.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
The harvest was thirty, sixty and a hundredfold.