Prayer – Come, Holy Spirit. Reveal the glory you have prepared.
Imagination – (Picture James and John seeking favors from Jesus.)
Jesus has just told the apostles about his future sufferings. The mother of James and John, however, is interested in her sons’ glory. Jesus talks about the “cup”, which means both the cup of his suffering and the Eucharistic cup celebrated in Mark’s church. Before gaining any glory, Jesus must drink this cup of suffering.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The mother of James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus. She said, “Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom.” “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said to her. “Can you drink of the chalice that I will drink of or be baptized with the baptism with which I will be baptized?
They said, “We can.” Jesus said, “You shall indeed drink of the chalice that I drink of, and be baptized with my baptism. However, to sit at my right hand or at my left hand, is not mine to give you. It is for those for whom it is prepared.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These apostles have no idea of the costs of the Kingdom’s glory.
- Jesus tells them clearly. They are seeking what they do not understand.
- Even with this warning, they glibly say that they can drink the chalice.
- Jesus sees the future. They will run away from the chalice.
- After many failures, they will be martyred. However, the highest glory is reserved for others.
- Such is the Kingdom! God has already prepared each one’s place. His decisions are beyond our comprehension.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, enlighten me about your Kingdom.
- Teach me the cost of this glory.
- Pull me into the mystery of your will.
- Help me to drink your chalice. What a privilege to be baptized with your baptism of suffering!
- What a great mystery! You have already prepared my place in glory.
- O Jesus, You desire only to share your glory with me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will find time for mental prayer so God can reveal the Kingdom to me.
- I will cherish God’s will, both on earth and in heavenly glory.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The Father has already decided my place in heavenly glory.