Prayer: O Jesus, I will be your brother (sister).
Imagination: (Picture yourself in the crowd with Jesus saying “These are my brother and sister).
Often, Mark begins a story, tells another story and then completes the first story. In this text, Mark concludes the story of Jesus’ family. Mark uses the key words, “outside” (to refer to the family) and “inside” (to refer to those who do God’s will). Don’t get upset by this story. It doesn’t mean that Mary complains. (Mark never uses Mary’s name. She is entirely absent in his gospel.) He wants to say that the disciples is Jesus’ mother, or brother or sister.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus was speaking to the crowds when his mother and his brothers came. They stood outside and sent someone to say, “Your mother and your brothers are outside and they wish to speak with you.”
Jesus responded, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers”? Extending his hand to those seated around him, Jesus said, “These are my mother and my brothers. Whoever does the will of my heavenly father is brother and sister and mother to me.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- People can be related to Jesus by nature and not by faith.
- They are still outside the Kingdom.
- Jesus uses this occasion to announce a new truth. He is forming a new family of God.
- His disciples have the unique opportunity of belonging to Jesus’ family.
- If they just do God’s will, they will be a brother or a sister, or even a mother to Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, to know you is not enough. I must see you with the eyes of faith.
- I will place no obstacle to your work.
- Form me into your family.
- Oh, to be a child of God! Nothing is a greater blessing.
- Jesus, your invitation overwhelms me. I can be your brother or sister.
- Whose heart could imagine such a blessing?
- Jesus, I will always do God’s will. Then, I will remain in your family forever.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ponder the great privilege of being a child of God.
- I will seek God’s will at every moment.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Whoever does the will of God is brother, sister and mother to me.