Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Let your Kingdom bring forth a harvest.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus explaining the parable to his disciples.)
In this text, Jesus applies the parable. The original story highlighted the power of the Kingdom. This explanation highlights the ground’s ability to receive the seed and bring a harvest.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The disciples asked Jesus what was the meaning of the parable of the seeds. Jesus said:
“God is the sower and the seed is his word. The seed by the wayside is the one who hears the word without understanding it. Satan steals the word from their heart.
The seed on rocky ground is the one who receives the word with joy but has no roots. The word lasts only for a time. When persecution or trial comes, he abandons the word.
The seed among thorns is the one who receives the word, but worldly anxieties and the desire for riches and pleasures, choke the word and it brings forth no fruit.
The seed placed in good ground is the one who hears the word, understands it and bears fruit, thirty, sixty and a hundredfold.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- This interpretation highlights your response to God’s word.
- If your heart is hard, (the path) you will easily lose the Kingdom.
- If your response is superficial (rocky ground), you will abandon the Kingdom during trials.
- If your heart is set on passing pleasures, (thorns), your worldly desires will choke the Kingdom.
- The conclusion is clear. To have an abundant harvest, you must give the very center of your inner life to God’s word.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Lord, I will not let Your Kingdom be marginal and superficial.
- May your Kingdom sink its roots within me.
- Lord, remove my heart’s hardness which resists your intrusion.
- Remove all my sinful attachments which only choke your word.
- O God, totally control my heart so your word brings a harvest.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- During the day, I will examine my heart to see what forces are within me.
- I will be generous with God, believing that His word will bring about a harvest.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
If the seeds of God’s Kingdom do not grow within, my soul is a wasteland.