Prayer: O Jesus, let your kingdom bring forth a harvest in my life.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus explaining the parable of the seeds to his disciples.)
Jesus has just told the crowds the parable of the farmer who scatters seeds in four areas – by the wayside, on rocky ground, among thorns and on good soil. Since the disciples do not grasp the parable, Jesus explains the meaning. The first three types of ground represent obstacles to the seed growing. The good ground is the faithful disciple who hears and acts on the word.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The disciples asked Jesus what was the meaning of the parable of the seeds. Jesus said:
“God is the sower and the seed is his word. The seed by the wayside is the person who hears the word without understanding it. Satan steals the word from their heart.
The seed on rocky ground is the person who receives the word with joy but has no roots. The word lasts only for a time. When persecution or trial comes, he abandons the word.
The seed among thorns is the person who receives the word, but worldly anxieties and the desire for riches and pleasures, choke the word and it brings forth no fruit.
The seed placed in good ground is the person who hears the word, understands it and bears fruit, thirty, sixty and a hundredfold.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- This interpretation highlights your response to the word of God.
- If your heart is hard, (the path) you will easily lose the Kingdom.
- If your response is superficial (rocky ground), you will give up the Kingdom during trials.
- If your heart is set on passing pleasures, (thorns), your worldly desires will choke the Kingdom.
- To have an abundant harvest, you must give your heart to God’s word.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, I will not let Your Kingdom be marginal and superficial.
- May your Kingdom sink its roots within me.
- Lord, I will not resist your coming into my life. My heart is wide open.
- Jesus, remove all my sinful attachments which only choke your word.
- O God, I give you my whole heart so your word brings a harvest.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will examine my heart to see what blocks God’s word.
- I will be generous with God, believing that His word will bring about a harvest.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
If the seeds of God’s Kingdom do not grow within, my soul is a wasteland.