Prayer – Jesus, lead me out of darkness into the full light of day.
Imagination- (Picture Jesus laying his hands on the blind man’s eyes.)
This section of Mark’s gospel begins and ends with Jesus healing blind men. In many of his stories, Mark deliberately contrasts new sight given to blind people with the growing blindness of Jesus’ own disciples. When Matthew and Luke tell these same stories, they soften them, finding some excuse for the disciples.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
When Jesus came to Bethsaida, they brought a blind man to him and asked that he would touch him. Taking the blind man by the hand, he led him out of the town. Spitting upon his eyes, he laid his hands on him and asked if he could see. Looking up, he said, “I see men walking around like trees.”
Jesus again laid hands on his eyes. He began to see. His sight was restored and he saw all things clearly. Jesus sent him home with the warning, “Do not even return to the village.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The people have great faith. They bring the man and ask Jesus to lay hands, believing that he will see.
- Jesus takes him by the hand, a sign of his helping power.
- Outside of the town, the man can be alone with Jesus without any obstacles to God’s power.
- Immediately, the man beginsto be healed. This represents beginning faith.
- As Jesus continues to lay his hands, the man comes to full sight. Now he sees Jesus plainly (full faith).
- Jesus tells the man to avoid others. He needs time to ponder this gift before returning to society.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let the faith of others help me to believe.
- Take my hand. Lead me into a quiet place.
- When I am alone, you can heal me.
- Begin now, Jesus. Your gift is like a quiet growth.
- Bring me to full faith. Then I will see your purpose in every event.
- I will come away from other so I can ponder your blessings.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will ask for Jesus’ healing hand upon my life.
- I will await God’s blessings with confidence.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
His sight was restored and he saw all things clearly.