O Jesus, I will trust you completely with the faith of a little child.
Picture the Pharisees confronting Jesus and his disciples.
In this story, the Pharisees do not understand. Like the crowds, they have witnessed Jesus teaching and healing. Unlike the crowds, they do not come to faith. They stand back, withhold their consent and seek yet another sign.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The Pharisees have witnessed all that Jesus did and taught. Yet they hold back. They refuse to move forward in faith.
- Instead, they ask for a sign from heaven. Jesus’ normal miracles are not enough for them. They expect portents in the sky.
- They are tempting Jesus. Their request is not a sincere searching.
- Jesus sighs. He has endured enough, working so hard and gaining no results from the Pharisees.
- He calls them “this generation.” They refuse to become the first generation of his Kingdom.
- He closes the door. Getting into the boat ends all discussion. The Pharisees are left without Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will cherish the little signs that you give me.
- I will not tempt you, Jesus. You lavish your gifts upon me.
- Jesus, you are so patient. Even when I sin, you give me time to repent.
- Formerly, I was a “this generation” person. Now, I am a first generation person, belonging to your new Kingdom.
- Jesus, never close the door on me. Never turn your back. Never walk away.
- Jesus, you are all I have and all I want. Let me get into the boat with you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will follow Jesus and not ask for any signs.
+ I will belong totally to him.