Prayer – O Jesus, in time of trial, do not let me turn my back on you.
Imagination- (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.)
Having told the disciples that he will suffer, die and rise, Jesus gathers the crowd.
He explains that if they become his disciples, sufferings will also be in their lives.
If they are ashamed of Jesus in persecutions, Jesus must be ashamed of them when
He comes in glory.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Calling together both the crowd and his disciples, Jesus said,
‘If anyone wants to follow me,
let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.
Whoever saves his life will lose it and whoever
loses his life for my sake and the gospel,
will save it.
What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul? What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Whoever is ashamed of me and my teaching in this sinful and corrupt age, the Son of Man will
also be ashamed of him, when he comes in the glory of the Father with all his holy angels.
Amen, I say to you. There are some standing here who shall not taste death until
they see the Kingdom of God coming in power.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Before becoming a disciple, people must understand the need
to deny themselves and take up their cross.
- Jesus explains the reason. Others will persecute them. If they have not accepted the cross, they will fail the test.
- Jesus speaks of earthly life and heavenly life. Whoever saves his earthly life, will lose his heavenly glory. Whoever loses his earthly life,
saves his heavenly glory.
- esus compares gaining the whole world with losing our soul. What profit is that?
- Jesus stresses If the disciples are ashamed of him during their lifetime,
then he must be ashamed of them when he comes in glory.
- Some will soon see this glory. This is the next scene, Jesus’ Transfiguration.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I so much want to be your disciple. Whatever the cost, I will pay it.
- O Jesus, What is time compared to eternity?
- What is my earthly life compared to your heavenly glory.
- Jesus, I never want you to be ashamed of me.
- If I am faithful, you will come and clothe me in your glory.
- Yes, I will see your glory. You have promised me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will see earthly life as passing away.
- I will meditate on the heavenly glory awaiting me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?