Prayer – O Jesus, in time of trial, do not let me turn my back on you.
Imagination- (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.)
Having told the disciples that he will suffer, die and rise, Jesus gathers the crowd and explains that they also will suffer if they follow him. He tells them that they cannot be ashamed of him. Otherwise, Jesus must be ashamed of them when He comes in glory.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Calling together both the crowd and his disciples, Jesus said, “If anyone wants to follow me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me. Whoever saves his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel, will save it. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul? What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Whoever is ashamed of me and my teaching in this sinful and corrupt age, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him, when he comes in the glory of the Father with all his holy angels.
Amen I say to you. There are some standing here who shall not taste death until they see the Kingdom of God coming in power.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Some people want to enjoy the privilege of following Jesus. First, they must deny themselves and take up their cross.
- Jesus explains the reason. People will persecute them. If they have not accepted the cross, they will deny Jesus.
- Jesus speaks of earthly life and heavenly life. Whoever saves his earthly life, will lose his heavenly glory.
- Jesus compares gaining the whole world (which none of us really has) with losing our soul. What profit is that?
- Jesus stresses If the disciples are ashamed of him during their lifetime, logically, he must be ashamed of them when he comes in glory.
- Some disciples will soon see this glory after Jesus rises from the dead.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I so much want to be your disciple.
- Whatever the cost, I will pay it.
- What is my earthly life worth when compared to heavenly glory?
- I’ll make you proud of me. With your help, I will stand firm in trials.
- When you come, you will clothe me in your glory.
- Yes, I will see your glory. You are faithful to your promises.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will see the passing nature of earthly life.
- I will meditate on the heavenly glory awaiting me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul.