Prayer: O Jesus, I await your coming with all your angels.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in a house, alone with his disciples)
Jesus has just told the parable of the owner who sowed good seed while his enemy sowed weeds. The owner does not allow his servants to rip out the weeds. He is willing to wait for the harvest (which is always a symbol for Jesus’ second Coming.) Now, Jesus explains each part of that story and applies it to the Final Judgment.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
After Jesus sent away the crowds, he came into the house. His disciples said, “Explain to us the parable about the weeds in the field.”
Jesus replied, “The one who sows the seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world. The good seed are the children of the Kingdom. The weeds are the followers of the Evil One. The enemy that sowed the weeds is the devil. The harvest is the end of the world. The reapers are the angels.
Just as the weeds are gathered up at the harvest and burned in fire, so it shall be at the end of the world. The Son of Man shall send his angels and they shall gather out of the world all who cause others to sin and all the evildoers. They shall cast them into the fire and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then, the just shall shine like the sun in their Father’s Kingdom. Let everyone heed what he hears.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. The owner allowed the wheat and the weeds to grow alongside each other, as if they both were equal.
2. “The field is the world”, says Jesus. In human life, the good and the bad are equal.
3. People misjudge this situation. They think that good and bad are equal in God’s sight.
4. The angels see people for what they are. They easily detect the bad from the good.
5. They gather those who did evil and deliver them to the fire of hell.
6. They take the good into the Father’s house, where they shine like the stars.
7. Everyone needs to grasp this lesson. “Let everyone heed.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, I want to be your wheat. To be good, is my free choice.
2. Your angels will gather me in. I will prepare for that day.
3. You are so patient, giving me time to repent.
4. You are the Son of Man who will come in glory.
5. O Jesus, I love you and I will await you.
6. Someday, Jesus, I will shine in your Father’s house.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. Because God is patient with me,I will use this time to get my life in order.
2. I will persevere in doing good, because that way I will live forever in the Father’s house.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
He will send out his angels.