Prayer: O Jesus, help me to understand your Kingdom.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples)
After preaching many parables, Jesus concludes with this parable about the Final Judgment. When finished, he asks the disciples if they understand. Then describes what he has just done by bringing forth various kinds of teachings.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The Kingdom of heaven is like a net cast into the sea which gathers all kinds of fish. When it is filled, the men draw it out. Sitting on the shore, they place what was worthwhile in their baskets but the useless they throw out. So it shall be at the end of the world. The angels shall go out and separate the evil from among the just. They shall cast them into the furnace where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
“Have you understood all these parables?” Jesus asked. ‘Yes”, they said. He said to them, “Every scribe instructed in the kingdom of Heaven is like the head of the house bringing forth from his treasuries, the old and the new.” When Jesus finished this parable, he moved on from that district.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Jesus’ heart is totally on the Kingdom of God.
2. He constantly uses fresh images to impress this Kingdom upon his disciples’ hearts.
3. The Kingdom already exists on earth in the hearts of good people.
4. The wicked and the good live in the same neighborhood, seemingly equal.
5. The angels, however, know who is who. They separate out the wicked, who are cast into the fire.
6. The parables are simple and the disciples easily understand.
7. Jesus provides many treasures from his storeroom of knowledge.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, focus my heart on your Kingdom.
2. Impress your Kingdom onto my mind and soul.
3. O Jesus, I cannot fool your angels. They see my heart.
4. I cannot sneak into heaven. My soul must be truly yours.
5. O Jesus, teach me and I will understand.
6. You explain all the mysteries. Everything is clear. I must respond.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will ask Jesus to show me the state of my soul.
2. I will remember the moment of my Judgment.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Have you understood all this?