Prayer: O Jesus, I will purchase your Kingdom, no matter what the price.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples)
Jesus continues to give a picture of a true disciple. These parables
highlight joy that leads to a decision. Because Israel was invaded so many times (from every direction), many people
buried their valuables in the fields, hoping to reclaim them later.
Finding a treasure in a field was common. In the second parable, pearls are both
highly prized and very valuable.
In these two stories, Jesus stresses the overwhelming joy which seizes both men
when they make their discovery. Upon discovering the kingdom, every true disciple experiences this overpowering joy.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The Kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field. When a man finds it, he hides it again. Because of his joy, he goes and sells all
that he has and buys that field.
Also, the Kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for good pearls. When he has found one pearl of a great price, he goes his way, sells all he has and buys it.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Both men are searching and their finding is a great surprise.
- When they realize the greatness of their discovery, joy overwhelms them.
- This joy penetrates them and carries them away.
- They see that nothing else in the whole world compares to their discovery.
- Selling everything is a joy. They will possess the priceless treasure.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, I will search and you will help me to find.
- Finding you is totally your gift.
- The treasure is not on the surface. I must go deep into prayer.
- When I find you, joy overwhelms me.
- O Jesus, penetrate my being and carry me off in joy.
- I will sell all to gain your presence.
- Even in future trials, my initial joy will carry me through.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will recall my joy in finding the Kingdom.
- I will live in that joy this day.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Because of this joy, he sold all he had and bought that field.