Prayer: O Jesus, Your Kingdom is hidden but powerful.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples.)
These two parables express the power of the kingdom, by highlighting a beginning smallness and a final greatness. From insignificant beginnings of mustard seed and leaven, God creates a mighty Kingdom. What began as a small ministry of a Jewish prophet (Jesus of Nazareth) becomes the Final Age of all history.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said, “To what shall we liken the kingdom of God, to what can we compare it?” It is like a grain of mustard seed which a man planted in his field. It is the least of the seeds but when it is grown it becomes the largest of plants. It puts out its branches so that the birds of the air can dwell in its shade.”
Jesus proposed another parable, “The Kingdom is also like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of flour until the whole mass was leavened.” Jesus taught the crowds in parables to fulfill what the prophet said, “I will open my mouth in parables. I will announce what has been hidden since the creation of the world.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Although small, the mustard seed and the leaven are alive. They contain God’s creative powers.
- They are effective only by being buried – the seed into the ground and the leaven into the flour.
- The leaven’s effects are seen quickly. The power of the mustard seeds comes forth more slowly.
- They bring great blessings. The birds gain shelter and human beings gain nourishment.
- Like the seed and the leaven, God’s Kingdom is hidden within us and often overlooked.
- Really, the kingdom is filled with power and able to transform any person or society.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will cherish the seeds of your Kingdom within me.
- Plant your leaven within me. It will transform me completely.
- Jesus, your power in me can do all things.
- Lord, I will live by faith in your Kingdom within me.
- Give me patient faith. Your kingdom does not blossom overnight.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will believe in the power of Jesus’ Kingdom.
- I will be patient, trusting God’s kingdom to transform me.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
To what can I compare the kingdom of God?