O Jesus, I will believe and not doubt.
Picture Jesus teaching in the synagogue at Nazareth.
The gospels record Jesus coming back to Nazareth and being met with a lack of faith. The people know about his miraculous powers but remain cynical. Their lack of faith limits the fruitfulness of Jesus’ powers.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus returns to Nazareth with high hopes. He has been so successful in other places.
- He follows his usual plan and goes to the synagogue to teach.
- The response here is different. The people question his powers and do not seek healings.
- Being too familiar with his family, they reject him.
- Jesus is saddened. He wanted so much to help those he grew up with.
- He has infinite power but he cannot use it for people who do not believe.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you have high hopes. You want to do great things for me.
- You come to me just as you come to every person.
- You want to bless me and pour out your favors.
- I will not disappoint you. I will not reject you.
- Who are you and who am I? You are the Lord. I am the servant.
- O Jesus, my heart is empty and you will fill it.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will have great faith in Jesus’ care for me.
+ I will ask him to come to my heart.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation.)
He worked no miracles there.