O Jesus, purify my heart and guide my decisions.
Picture Jesus with his disciples.
This gospel has many little parts. Some teach about relationships within the believing community. Others explain what is needed for personal salvation. Both are important. Jesus mentions the “fire of Gehenna.” This was a rubbish place outside of Jerusalem where there were constant fires.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus confronts John’s pride. He cannot accept an outsider sharing in Jesus’ powers.
- Jesus confronts scandal when new believers see older members who do not fulfill Jesus’ commands.
- Believers must give a “cup of cold water,” that is, the good example of their Christian lives.
- Jesus confronts sin within the Church. The goal is heaven and damnation must be avoided at all costs.
- This is a true disciple – humble, open to others, setting good example and avoiding sinful activity.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, how holy is your name, containing all power in heaven and earth.
- O Jesus, let every tongue proclaim your name for the Father’s glory.
- I am your follower. Let my life lead others to follow you.
- Help me so I never lead others astray.
- O Jesus, your Kingdom is worth any price!
- Cut out of my life whatever cuts me off from you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will use Jesus’ name to release God’s power.
+ I will remove anything that gives bad example.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
He will not lose his reward.