Prayer: O Jesus, You are the Messiah, the son of God.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with Peter and the apostles.)
Who is Jesus Christ? Many people still do not know. Peter, by a divine revelation of the Father, answers that question. Jesus calls him “Peter” (meaning rock) and makes him the foundation of his Church. This part of Matthew’s gospel focuses on Jesus forming his Church.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus asked the apostles, “Who do people say I am?” They responded, “Some say John the Baptist. Others say Elijah. Others say Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He then asked, “Who do you say that I am.” Peter said, “You are the Christ, Son of the Living God.”
Jesus exclaimed, “Blessed are you, Simon, son of John, because flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. I say to you, “You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven. Whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
1. Jesus wants to reveal his identity. So, he begins the questioning.
2. Peter has the right answer and can think of nothing else to say.
3. By the light of a heavenly revelation, Peter says words far beyond his own understanding.
4. Peter can now receive a greater power – the Keys of the Kingdom.
5. Jesus will build his Church and uses Peter as his foundation.
6. The Church on earth has all the powers of heaven.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Lord, you ask me the same question, “Who do you say I am?”
2. “You are the Christ”, I exclaim and you call me “blessed”.
3. O Jesus, may your Spirit reveal the Kingdom.
4. Give me your power and I will serve others.
5. Enlighten me by inner revelation. Show me the Kingdom’s mysteries.
6. With your powers, I can touch even heaven.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will seek to know Jesus.
2. I will ask God to reveal my task in his Church.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
And you, who do you say I am? You are the Christ, Son of the living God.