Prayer – Lord Jesus, let me live up to your demands of discipleship.
Imagination-(Picture Jesus teaching the disciples)
In writing for second-generation believes (85 AD) Luke wants to rekindle the commitment of the earlier believers. So, he lists Jesus’ demands and records his motivations.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “To you who hear me, I say, ‘Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you and pray for those who speak against you. When someone strikes you on one cheek, offer him the other.
When someone steals your cloak, offer him your coat also and let him have your shirt as well. Give to all who ask of you. Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
If you love others who love you, what good is that? Even sinners do that. If you lend to those who will repay you, what thanks is due to you? Even sinners do as much.
Do good and lend without thought of a return. Then you shall be sons of the Most High. For, he is kind even to the ungrateful and the evil.
Give and it shall be given in good measure, running over. By whatever measure you measure, it shall be measured out to you.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus teaches how a disciple should respond in each situation.
- Jesus asks for non-violence in the face of physical attacks.
- He asks for generosity to someone in need.
- He highlights respect for the other, the same respect that the disciple expects to receive.
- Jesus demands a high level of virtue. Otherwise, the disciple would be the same as the sinner.
- The disciple’s unlimited generosity prepares the disciple to receive the heavenly Father’s generosity.
- Jesus has one purpose. He wants the disciples to be sons of the Most High.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, with all my heart, I want to be your disciple.
- If I open my heart to you, I must open my money to my neighbor.
- You invite me to “Come up higher.” I am coming, Jesus. Quickly and immediately.
- Jesus, make me a child of the Most High.
- What is my generosity compared with your generosity?
- I will measure out abundantly. Then, your heavenly Father, will also measure out without limit.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will forgive everyone who hurts me.
- I will be very generous to those in need.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
In this way, you will be sons of the Most High.