Prayer: O Jesus, I will accept your Kingdom like a little child.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus surrounded by children and the disciples.)
Right after Jesus’ teaching on the permanence of marriage, Mark places this story
of children (the fruit of marriage). Earlier, Jesus spoke of not scandalizing the little ones. Now, he sees the disciples “hindering” them from coming close.
(Possibly a Baptismal question in Mark’s Church). Jesus’ anger shows that only he decides who are worthy of the Kingdom. No one else must judge.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
People were bringing children to Jesus so he might touch them but the disciples
scolded them for doing this. Jesus became indignant and said,
“Let the little children come
to me and do not forbid them. For such is the Kingdom of God.
Amen I say to you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God as a
little child shall not enter it.” Then he embraced them and blessed them,
laying his hands upon them.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The people see Jesus’ blessings and want these for their children.
- The disciples are misled. They miss the point. They are limiting the Kingdom.
- Jesus wants all to enter the Kingdom. This is his constant concern.
- He speaks from his heart, “Let the little children come to me”. This is your invitation. Jesus is speaking to you.
- Set aside your adult sophistication. You need a heavenly Father, just like everyone else.
- Go to Jesus. He will embrace you (with arms stretched out on a cross)
and you will be blessed as never before.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, your blessings flow freely. They are so easily received.
- O Lord, let nothing hinder me. Sweep away all obstacles that stand between you and me.
- I hear you speak. You say “Let them come”. You are like a king who wants his people to enter his courts.
- O Jesus, I need you. I need your presence. I need your help.
- Take me in your arms. Your hands are wounded and your arms are bloody – all for love of me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will hear Jesus say “Let them come.”
- I will examine the obstacles that keep me from Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Do not forbid the children. Of such is the Kingdom of God.