Prayer: Come Holy Spirit. Set me free from the Kingdom of Darkness.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in a synagogue setting the man free from the unclean spirit.)
Mark groups his stories by geography. The next few stories take place at Capernaum, and provide a quick overview of Jesus’ activities. Jesus’ ministry begins in the Jewish culture and in their place of religious worship – the synagogue.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
In Capernaum, Jesus entered the synagogue on the sabbath and began to teach. The people were spellbound by his teaching because he taught with authority and not like the scribes. In the synagogue, there was a man with an unclean spirit who cried out, “What have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.” Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet! Come out of the man.” The unclean spirit convulsed him. Then crying out with a loud voice, the spirit left him.
All were amazed and asked among themselves, “What is this? What is this new teaching with authority? He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him. His fame spread over the whole region of Galilee.
Thoughts: ( Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
- The man had attended the synagogue for years, but the synagogue had no power over his unclean spirit.
- When Jesus enters, the demon can no longer stay hidden.
- The demon faces a powerful new enemy and realizes that Jesus has come to destroy him.
- The demons know well that Jesus is “the Holy One” come from the Father.
- Jesus acts quickly so the unclean spirit can do little harm.
- This was never heard of before. The people have never seen such power. The word about Jesus spreads quickly.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how many hidden forces come against me.
- Without you, O Lord, these forces would control my life and I would be in complete darkness.
- Jesus, you are the demons’ powerful enemy. To me, you are a mighty friend.
- Cast out from me any powers of darkness that dwell within me.
- Come to my synagogue, O Jesus – to my heart which needs your cleansing.
- Never have I seen such power as yours, and you always use it for my benefit.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Does the demon have any power over me? I will examine my conscience.
- If involved in occult practices, I will confess them and seek total freedom.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
He commands even the evil spirits and they obey him.