Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Help me to believe that Jesus can cleanse me.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus cleansing the leper)
Mark provides no geographical setting for this miracle. His goal is to show Jesus’ power and how his fame quickly spreads. Jesus tries to avoid this publicity.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
A leper came to Jesus. Kneeling down he said, “If you will, you can make me clean.” Jesus had compassion on him. He stretched out his hand and, touching him, said, “I do will it. Be made clean.”
The leprosy left him immediately and he was made clean. Warning him strictly, Jesus said to him, “Tell no one. Go, show yourself to the high priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses prescribed. That will be proof for them.”
However, the leper went away and told everyone. When the news went forth, Jesus could not go openly into a town. He stayed outside in deserted places. Yet, they came to him from everywhere.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
- Having seen others who were healed, the leper believes totally.
- Jesus shows deep human feelings of compassion for the leper’s condition.
- Jesus comes close. He touches the leper and makes himself ritually unclean.
- His power goes forth quickly. He uses just a simple word, “Be clean.”
- The leper cannot control his joy. He tells everyone the story.
- The crowds find Jesus even when he remains in deserted places. They know the power of God is in their midst.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Lord Jesus, I know you have power. I have read the gospel stories.
- I ask with all my heart, “Please make me clean.”
- Jesus, you always have compassion for me.
- You come close. You touch me. You make me whole.
- After you cleanse me, I can begin a new life.
- My tongue will not be silent. I will tell everyone. I will claim your mighty deeds.
- By my words, others will believe in you and search for you.
Resolutions: (Use one of these or make one of your own).
- No matter what my illness (moral or physical) I will believe that Jesus can make me clean.
- I will be God’s witness, telling others of Jesus’ compassion for them.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
If you will it, you can make me clean.