A Greater Than Jonah or Solomon (Lk 11:29-32)
O Lord, I seek no sign or wonder. I seek only you.
Picture Jesus speaking to the crowds.
Although Jesus’ enemies asked for a sign, Jesus addresses his teaching to the crowds. He cites two Old Testament examples of foreigners having a change of heart. When Jonah preached in Nineveh (a perennial enemy of Israel) the people repented. When the Queen of Ethiopia came to see Solomon, she was totally impressed with his wisdom.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to the crowd, “This is a wicked generation because it looks for a sign. No sign shall be given except the sign of Jonah, the prophet. As Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites, so shall the Son of Man be to this generation.
The Queen of the South shall rise in judgment upon the men of this generation and shall condemn them because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon. Behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
At the judgment, the citizens of Nineveh will rise along with this generation and shall condemn it. At the preaching of Jonah they did penance, but you have a greater than Jonah here.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- People want signs to satisfy their intellect, when really they should be surrendering their heart.
- A sign does not get people to repent. It only satisfies curiosity.
- Jesus gives the whole world the greatest sign, his rising from the dead.
- The Queen believed just by hearing Solomon speak. What is Solomon compared with Jesus?
- The hated Ninevites repented when Jonah spoke. Who is Jonah compared to Jesus?
- Every person in history will come before Jesus in judgment.
- On that day, the Queen and the Ninevites will condemn those who did not repent.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, give me no sign. Just give me yourself.
- You are risen from the dead and I will rise with you. Alleluia!
- Change my heart, Jesus. Turn me totally to Your way of life.
- They repented when Jonah preached. I will repent at your word.
- Send me your Holy Spirit of repentance. All can be changed.
- When I come to you after my death, let me be your friend.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
+ I will think today about the miracle of Jesus’ rising.
+ I will ponder Jesus’ claim that he is greater than all other teachers.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
A greater than Jonah or Solomon is here.