O Jesus, help me to vanquish Satan so I can proclaim your gospel.
Picture Jesus preaching to the crowds for the first time.
These important verses record two things – Jesus’ initial victory over Satan and the four basic points of Jesus’ preaching. Later, Jesus will often cast out Satan.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Anointed with the Spirit, Jesus’ first task is to defeat Satan.
- Jesus spends the full forty days but Satan cannot conquer him.
- Jesus experiences both the hardships of trials and the angels of consolation.
- When John the Baptist is taken off the scene, Jesus begins his preaching.
- Jesus declares a “time of fulfillment.”
- The Kingdom is about to break into human history.
- To receive the Kingdom, man must repent and believe.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Holy Spirit, drive me into solitude.
- O Jesus, give me strength in my trials
- Jesus, your angels surround me all day.
- O Lord, now is a time of fulfillment.
- O Jesus, Your Kingdom is at hand.
- Empty my heart by true repentance.
- I believe the good news that you will save me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will ask the Spirit to anoint me.
+ I will be sorry for my sins, so I can receive God’s forgiveness.