O Jesus, fill me with faith in your power.
Picture Jesus with the Centurion.
Advent is a time of faith and the church selects the Gentile centurion as the first model. He believed that Jesus could heal at a distance (unheard of in Judaism). Even Jesus proclaims his extraordinary faith.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The centurion has complete and total faith in Jesus’ power to heal.
- Jesus is totally aware of his own powers. He proclaims “I will come and heal him.”
- The centurion is extraordinary for his great humility (I am not worthy) and for his faith (that Jesus could heal at a distance).
- Jesus proclaims that he has never seen Jewish people with that level of belief.
- Jesus predicts that many Gentiles will enter the Kingdom by having the same faith.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I will come to you in all my needs.
- O Jesus, your power can accomplish all things, anywhere and anytime.
- Nothing limits your power.
- Jesus, I am not worthy but you will act in my soul.
- Your Kingdom is open to all. The whole world is invited.
- Just speak your word, Jesus and I will be healed.
- O Jesus, place great faith in my heart.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Today I will bring to Jesus all that needs to be healed – my body, my soul, my relationships, my memories.
+ I will have great desires to be at Jesus’ banquet.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
I have not found such great faith in all of Israel.