Prayer: O Jesus, make me confident that you can make me see.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with his disciples.)
After raising the little girl to life, Jesus encounters two blind men. They give him the Messianic title, “Son of David” and proclaim that they have confidence that he can heal them Filled with joy after being healed, they disobey Jesus and tell everyone the good news. That is Advent – a time to tell everyone that the Lord is coming.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Two blind men cried out, saying, “Son of David, have mercy on us”. When Jesus got to the house, they caught up with him. Jesus said, “Do you believe that I can do this for you?” They said, “Yes, Lord”.
Then he touched their eyes saying, ‘Let it be done to you according to your faith”. Their eyes were opened and Jesus strictly told them, “See that no one knows of this.” But they went and spread his fame all over the countryside.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The men are determined. First, they meet Jesus. Then, they follow him to the house. They will not be put off.
- They know he is the Messiah. He is the “Son of David”, the promised one.
- How fortunate that he came to their village.
- Jesus questions them directly. Do they believe he can do this?
- He is their Lord, certainly he can heal them.
- Jesus’ creating hand touches them. Power pours out “according to their faith.”
- The healing proves that they did have faith.
- Jesus wants to remain unknown but their joy is too great. They tell everyone. It is like Christmas.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will follow you. I will pursue you, no matter where you go.
- You are the Messiah. The fullness of Davidic power resides in you.
- Jesus, how fortunate I am when faith stirs within me!
- Have mercy on me, Jesus. Have mercy on me.
- “Do I believe?” you ask. How can I not believe”? I know your power.
- Fill me with Advent expectancy.
- Bless me and I will tell the whole world.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- During Advent, I will try to speak of Jesus.
- I will be a person of faith, believing in Jesus’ power to help me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Let it be done to you according to your faith.