Lord Jesus, invite me today to be your disciple.
Picture Jesus calling his first disciples along the Sea of Galilee.
This gospel text begins “After John was arrested” and it records Jesus’ first homily of his public ministry. He repeats John’s teaching that the reign of God has come and gathers his four most important helpers.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus follows his heavenly Father’s timetable. While John is preaching, he remains silent. When John is arrested, Jesus knows to begin.
- These are the most important years in world history as Jesus begins to save all mankind.
- Jesus says that the Kingdom is at hand. God’s power will break into human history.
- Everyone must be ready. So, Jesus tells everyone to turn away from evil and believe in him.
- The two sets of brothers are the first to hear the message. They respond immediately.
- Peter and Andrew leave their boats behind. James and John leave their father and friends. These four are perfect models for all believers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words in prayer).
- Heavenly Father, what is your timetable for my life? When is the time for me to act?
- Jesus, I believe. This is the hour, the time of fulfillment. I will not delay.
- I believe. I accept your Kingdom. I repent. I turn to you and hear your voice.
- Jesus, you want to come into my heart.
- I hear your call. I will follow you, forever and ever.
- O Jesus, You are the gift of the Father. What else compares with your friendship? I will leave everything to be your friend.
Resolutions: (Use one of these or make your own.)
+ I will learn God’s timetable. What does he expect today?
+ When Jesus invites me today, I will answer immediately.
Thought for the Day: (Recall this meditation during the day.)
Come after me and I will make you fishers of men.