Prayer: O Jesus, help me to vanquish Satan so I can proclaim your gospel.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus preaching to the crowds for the first time.)
These important verses record two things – Jesus’ initial victory over Satan and the four basic points of Jesus’ preaching. Later, Jesus will often cast out Satan.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Immediately (after his Baptism) the Spirit drove Jesus out into the desert. He was in the desert for forty days and forty nights, and was tempted by Satan. He was with beasts, and angels ministered to him.
After John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God, saying, “This is the time of fulfillment. The Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent and believe in the gospel.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Anointed with the Spirit, Jesus’ first task is to defeat Satan.
- Jesus spends the full forty days but Satan cannot conquer him.
- Jesus experiences both the hardships of trials and the angels of consolation.
- When John the Baptist is taken off the scene, Jesus begins his preaching.
- Jesus declares a “time of fulfillment”.
- The Kingdom is about to break into human history.
- To receive the Kingdom, man must repent and believe.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Holy Spirit, drive me into solitude.
- O Jesus, give me strength in my trials
- Jesus, your angels surround me all day.
- O Lord, now is a time of fulfillment.
- O Jesus, Your Kingdom is at hand.
- Empty my heart by true repentance.
- I believe the good news that you will save me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ask the Spirit to anoint me.
- I will be sorry for my sins, so I can receive God’s forgiveness.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the Kingdom of God.