Prayer: O Jesus, teach me to watch and to pray constantly.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in the temple teaching his disciples.)
These are Jesus’ final words of teaching before the Last Supper. Jesus is worried. He will not be returning to earth soon. The disciples will wonder why he delays. So, he exhorts them not to grow indulgent, not to give up prayer or their high moral standards. His final words are an important reminder. Whether it is sooner or later, all the world will stand before him.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “Be on guard, lest your spirits become bloated with indulgence and drunkenness and worldly cares, and that day come upon you suddenly, like a trap. That day will come upon the whole earth.
Watch, therefore. Pray at all times, so you may have the strength to escape what will happen and to stand secure before the Son of Man.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- “That day”, means the moment when all will be judged by Jesus.
- Because this second Coming didn’t happen right away, some disciples abandoned their devout life and their watchfulness.
- They became indifferent, drunk and involved with worldly cares.
- They fell into a trap which entangles everyone who sets aside Jesus’ Kingdom. Inevitably they will be caught.
- Jesus explains the remedy. They must watch their conduct and pray constantly.
- Jesus’ coming is inevitable. History will end in this way. All must seek one thing – to stand secure before the Son of Man.
- These are Jesus’ final words. Remember them.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, what a day that will be, when every human person will stand before you.
- O Lord, how quickly my life will pass. Do not let me fall into indulgence or give my heart to worldly cares.
- I will watch with you. That is what you ask of me.
- Teach me to pray. Teach me to pray constantly.
- How will I be secure on that day, Jesus? I know. I will live always in your hands.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Where am I indulgent and entangled in worldly cares?
- I will pray mentally every day.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Pray constantly for the strength to stand before the Son of Man