Prayer: O Jesus, may you find me watching when you return.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples.)
Jesus gives two crisis parables which emphasize the need for watchfulness. The master has many servants and all must keep watch. The second parable reverses the situation. The owner must keep watch to catch the thief.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Let your belts be fastened around your waists and your lamp burning ready. You must be like men waiting for their master’s return from the wedding, so when he comes and knocks, they open immediately.
Blessed are those servants whom the Lord when he returns finds watching. Amen, I say to you, he will put on an apron, make them sit down at table and will serve them. If he comes in the second or third watch, those servants will be blessed.
But know this. If the owner of the house knew when the thief would come, he would surely watch and not allow his house to be broken into. You also must be ready because at an hour you least expect, the Son of Man will come.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Belts buckled and lamps burning are symbols of great watchfulness.
2. The Master expects a high level of service – no delay.
3. Because the hour of return is uncertain, the demands are high.
4. However, the reward is astounding. The Master does not eat. He will serve the servants.
5. A thief also comes at an unknown hour. The owner must watch or lose his possessions.
6. In both parables, the time is unknown, the demands are high, and much is at stake.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, how often I am not prepared for your coming.
2. You expect much of me. Your demands are great.
3. But how you reward me! You give me life without end.
4. Jesus, I must watch every hour and every day.
5. Jesus, how many thieves would rob me of eternal life.
6. I will stand watch, avoiding all sin and occasions of sin.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will think of Jesus as a generous master.
2. I will treasure my eternal life.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Blessed are those servants whom the master finds watching on his return.