Prayer: O Jesus, I will give you all of the harvest.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples.)
Jesus bases this parable upon actual circumstances. In Galilee there were many foreign owners who leased the land to tenants. God is the owner and these tenants are the Scribes who claim to possess God’s word. However, they kill the Son so that the owner will give the vineyard to new tenants. This is a crisis parable which is meant to wake you up!
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
A man planted a vineyard and then leased it out to tenant farmers and went on a journey. In due time, he dispatched a man to gain his share of the produce.
However, they beat him and sent him off empty handed. He sent another. They beat him shamefully. He sent another and they killed him. He sent even more. They beat some and killed others.
Finally, he sent his only son thinking that they would show him respect. But the tenants said to one another, “This one will inherit everything. Let us kill him and the vineyard will be ours.”
What will the owner of the vineyard do? He will destroy those tenants and give the vineyard over to others.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- God has given you the vineyard of your faith. He expects the fruits of worship and goodness.
- He sends preachers and teachers to remind you of your duties. Do not ignore them.
- He sends interior messengers, his inspirations within you. Do not reject them.
- He sends the light of your conscience. Do not extinguish this.
- Finally, he sends a Fear of the Lord. What do you do with that?
- Wake up or else you will lose your faith and your immortal soul.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I thank you for my faith.
- You have given me the vineyard of eternal life.
- What do you want of me, O Lord, so I can be your faithful tenant?
- O Jesus, let me never forget that you are the owner of my soul.
- Send your messengers, O Lord. Ask for all the rent you want. I will give anything to remain in your vineyard!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will give God his share of this day. I will pray and help others.
- I will find time to thank God for my gift of faith.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
All the owner wanted was his rent.