Come, Jesus. Anoint me to preach your Kingdom.
Picture Jesus preparing his apostles for their missionary journey.
Jesus now makes his apostles into missionaries. He calls them and gives two powers: to drive out demons and to heal. He tells them how to act and what to preach. For the first time, others will use Jesus’ powers.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus sends forth his most dedicated group – the Twelve.
- He gives them extraordinary powers to cast out devils and to heal every illness.
- They must not go to Gentile villages nor to Samaritan towns.
- Their goal must be Israel, the special object of Jesus’ love.
- They say only one thing. “The Kingdom is at hand.” At this point, that is all they understand.
- They will do extremely well because they obey Jesus and use his powers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus call me. I will dedicate my life to the Kingdom.
- Show me where to go and what to do.
- Give me the power to preach and persuade.
- Help me to lead my family and friends to faith.
- Jesus, give me a simplicity of lifestyle.
- Jesus, the Kingdom is at hand and everyone must know it.
- How great is the need for all to hear the message! The time is short and You are coming soon.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ In my own little way, I will announce the Kingdom to everyone.
+ I will believe that Jesus will equip me with His powers.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation.)
When you preach say, “The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Then, “heal the sick.”