Prayer: O Jesus, come to my town.
Imagination (Picture Jesus healing and teaching the crowds.)
The gospel has 2 parts. First, Jesus casts out a demon so a person begins to speak. This causes both praise and criticism. Then, Jesus tours all the villages with
multiple miracles of power.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
They brought to Jesus a dumb man who was possessed by the demon. After the demon
was cast out, the man spoke. The crowd wondered, saying “Nothing like this has
ever been seen in Israel.” But the Pharisees said, “By the prince of demons,
he casts out demons.”
Jesus went all around to their cities and towns, teaching in their synagogues and
preaching the gospel of the Kingdom. He healed every illness and disease. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were lying prostrate
from exhaustion, like a sheep without a shepherd.
Then he said to his disciples. The harvest is indeed great but the laborers are few. Pray, therefore, to the Lord of the harvest, that he would send laborers into his harvest.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The people hear the stories about Jesus, and know exactly what to do. They “bring the man to Jesus.”
- Jesus’ power is total. The demon leaves and the man speaks.
- The crowds respond in great They rejoice, never having seen such a mighty
work in Israel.
- The Pharisees respond in duplicity, refusing to accept Jesus, and claiming his
powers are demonic.
- Jesus releases all his powers. His compassion drives him to all the towns.
- Without Jesus, the people are like exhausted sheep, having no shepherd.
- Jesus sees their need and knows that he needs helpers. So, he begins to prepare his disciples.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I know the gospel stories and I know what to do. I will come to you.
- Your power is total. You are not a specialist who handles only one type of illness.
- No one is like you, Jesus. All blessings flow from your hands.
- Remove my cynical spirit. Make me a child, ready to believe.
- How compassionate you are! Always thinking of me. Always preparing blessings ahead of time.
- O Jesus, send me to labor in your harvest.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- In the greatest faith, I will bring my problems to Jesus.
- I will offer my time to spread the gospel.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
The crowds said, “Never have we seen anything like this in Israel.”