Prayer: O Jesus, I honor you as the true prophet come into the world.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in the synagogue at Nazareth)
Until now, Jesus has met people of faith and his power has gone forth. When Jesus teaches in the Nazareth synagogue, however, the people question his authority, wisdom and healing powers. The whole atmosphere of the synagogue is disbelief. The result here is different. Jesus heals only some who do have faith.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus came to his own town with his disciples. On a Sabbath, he entered the synagogue and began to teach. Many listened in admiration, saying, “How did he learn all these things? Where did he get this wisdom? By what power can he do these works?
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joseph, Jude and Simon? Are not his sisters with us? They found him too much for them.
Jesus said to them, “A prophet is without honor only in his native place, in his own house and among his own relatives.” He could work no miracle there. He only cured a few people by laying hands on them.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- As he returns to Nazareth, Jesus has much greater stature. He has a reputation and a large group of disciples.
- He offers at Nazareth exactly what he gave to the other towns, a full teaching about the power of God.
- The reaction here is different. There is no awe or wonder or pressing in to touch his garment.
- Jesus confronts this response. Hometown people refuse to believe. They place no faith in someone they know.
- Jesus is deeply disappointed. He cannot help the very people who grew up with him.
- Nazareth loses its blessings. They are deprived of divine miracles. More important, they have no faith in Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, millions of people believe in you. This helps my faith.
- You do not hold back your gifts. Your powers flow to all who believe.
- Fill me with awe and wonder. I will touch you like the believing crowds.
- Remove my unbelief and crush my pride.
- How many blessings come from you today! Let me receive them all. Each one is important.
- Lay your hands on me, Lord. I believe in you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ask Jesus to draw near.
- I will ask for blessings all day long.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
He could work no miracle there.