Prayer: O Jesus, free me from fear so I always acknowledge that I am your disciple.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus speaking with his apostles).
Jesus is sending his apostles to preach the Kingdom. This is all new for them. Jesus foresees that they will be persecuted and could easily fear and fail to acknowledge him before men. So Jesus teaches them not to fear. This is so needed because anyone who preaches Jesus will be intimidated by others.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to his apostles, Do not fear men who intimidate you. Nothing is hidden which will not be revealed and nothing concealed that will not become know. What I tell you in darkness, speak in the light. What you hear in private, preach on the housetops.
Do not fear those who can kill the body but cannot destroy the soul. Fear him who can destroy both body and soul in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And yet, not one of them falls to the ground without your Father knowing it. As for you, the very hairs of your head are numbered. Therefore, do not fear. You are worth more than many sparrows.
Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. Whoever disowns me before men, I will disown before my heavenly Father.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- In the gospel, Jesus’ teachings are hidden in the hearts of the disciples. They bless the disciples but no one else.
- That will change. The apostles will go to all the world. The words in their hearts will be totally revealed.
- Through the Apostles, Jesus will multiply his power over the world.
- The person preaching Jesus’ word will face persecution and possibly, death.
- Losing bodily life is not to be feared. Fear only someone who can destroy the soul.
- They are very valuable to the Father, more than any other part of creation.
- The final result is clear. If they preach and are killed, Jesus will acknowledge them.
- If they cease to preach and disown Jesus, he must disown them.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Bless me through your word, planted deeply in my heart.
- I will preach and multiply your word to the nations.
- Jesus, what a joy to be your voice.
- How the Father values me. He called me to spread his Kingdom.
- Help me to fear no one (unless they can steal heaven from me.)
- Jesus, you will acknowledge me before the Father. You will say, “He preached my word to the nations.”
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will drink fully of Jesus’ words.
- I will share my faith with others.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
What I tell you in darkness, speak in the light.